Saturday 12 May 2007

Bromley teenagers in need

I attended the JusB prayer meeting this week and I felt that the needs of JusB should be circulated as much as possible. I have been a centre volunteer at the youth project know as JusB ever since our church took part in Soul in the city a couple of years ago. I help out at the younger session because this best fits in with our family life although there is a later/older session which I know that Becky Bilson helps out with. We only are on the rota to help 2 weeks out of every 6 , which really equates to me committing to 5 hours over 2 evenings once every 6 weeks, and that level of commitment I find is quite easy to accommodate within my busy life. The reason why I'm explaining this is we have the unusual position of having more non Christian volunteers than Christian and we would very much like this to become more balanced. Is there anyone out there who thinks they can give 5 hours of time every 6 weeks, you would be trained in all you need to know, and there is even a choice of times and age ranges you could work with. It's a great opportunity to get along side Bromley teenagers and make a real difference in their lives.

We are also in need of trustees. JusB is launching the 24hour campaign. This campaign is about asking our churches if there are some of us with skills they could share and who could give on average 24 hours in time, spread over one year, to becoming a trustee for JusB.

The third and final area we are desperate for is the area of youth mentors. JusB have always operated a youth mentor scheme at the earlier session for the younger kids. This has been so rewarding for both the kids and the youth mentors. We need teenagers between the ages of 16 & 19 to be trained by JusB and then commit to coming along to the younger sessions on a Tuesday between 5.30pm and 7pm and be a older teenage friend to these younger kids all school aged between 11 and 14. If any of us have contact with teenagers who you think would like to consider this could you ask them to get in touch with me.

It would be lovely if JusB was encouraged in such practical ways by our family at Park Road. For more information on any of these points I've raised just get in touch with me.

1 comment:

Liz said...

thanks for sharing all that Michelle - I know one of the comments that came up time and again from people at the church Conference was that if they knew more of what was going on in the church and the wider community, they would better feel able to support the work and in return receive a greater sense of 'belonging.' I hope what you have shared achieves this...