Sunday 13 May 2007

reverse mentoring

Michelle says that getting involved with JusB is a great way to get alongside Bromley teenagers and make a real difference in their lives.

Here's a suggestion - I've been reading "Off-Road Disciplines" by Earl Creps which is about figuring out what is going on in contemporary culture and how the church can engage with people, particularly those under 30 - great book but I digress.

There's a fantastic chapter on Reverse Mentoring which says things like, 'by the time you're in your forties and fifties, you're not in touch with the future in the same way as the young twenty-somethings. They come with fresh eyes, open minds, and instant links to the technology of our future.' Ouch!

The reality for me anyway is I don't get a lot of this new fast-changing culture and I know I will get it less and less as the years go by. Depressing thought - how am I ever going to engage with the very people who so desperately need to hear the gospel but are not coming into our churches?

Simple, says Creps, check your attitude in at the door, admit you don't know everything and go and find youngsters who do, talk to them, ask them questions, take an interest in them and above all listen to what they have to say. That's reverse mentoring.

Believe me from years of teaching teenagers the rudiments of geography, they're great people and I know they taught me far more than I ever taught them!!!

Why not give it a go with any teenager you come into contact with. Like any relationship it takes time but if it doesn't work, don't force it, just chill and move on.

If you don't know any teenagers - JusB sounds like a great place to start...

No comments: