Tuesday 16 October 2007

It's that time of year again...

"Mummy, why can't I have the pink and black witch's outfit?", "Mummy, why can't I go trick or treating? All my mates do." "Mum, are there really evil spirits?"

Yes it's Halloween time again and the questions from my three young children seem to get tougher the older they get.

Actually it's been 'Halloween' since about mid-September in every shop you could imagine. The costumes that used to terrify my kids are now only a source of amusement and evoke "Mummy, I'm going to be a werewolf." (Notice how they subtly stop asking coz they know what I'll say!)

Come November 1st it'll all be over, replaced by Christmas stuff but that's another story and a whole new set of questions.

So how should I respond to their questions and unfortunately avoidance tactics no longer work. I know there's quite a bit out there on the web (be careful what you google) to help, like from the Evangelical Alliance but from a personal point of view I find this a really tricky one. Halloween, by the way, is my birthday and I spent many a happy birthday party eating frogs' legs sandwiches and drinking purple witches' brew and later on down the local pub which always put on a great bash. Interestingly I never went trick or treating - that's a more recent and growing phenomenon or perhaps I'm older than I think?!

Do I accept it as a bit of fun or do I take a long hard look around at our country which is slowly and almost imperceptibly descending further and further into spiritual darkness and do something about it with the light of Christ that I know makes a difference and if so what?

Love to hear your thoughts and experiences about Halloween whether you have little ones or not and especially how you would respond to the tough questions they pose.

2 comments:

Lorna said...

I think you're right to be concerned. I don't think it's harmless fun at all and always tried to avoid it as much as possible when my children were young.

I did bow under pressure and allow Sarah to go to a couple of hallowe'en themed birthday parties, but tried to explain why we didn't 'celebrate' it.

Peer pressure makes it very difficult when all their friends are partying. It's good to see that there are lots of Christian resources out there. Perhaps we should have some literature available at church for people to take away and use, and consider organising an alternative event? You could always organise something at your home for your children and their friends.

I think trick and treating is a bad thing not only because it puts the children at risk, but it is also frightening for elderly people and those living alone - I don't even like it myself!

Let's pray for the families in our church at this time and try to use the occasion as an opportunity instead of an irritation.

Hazel said...

I don't envy you, Liz, with children growing up with such pressures these days. I think Lorna is right that you should be concerned. I certainly think we need to be praying for our children and young people and for parents too to make the right decisions. I think an alternative event that focuses on 'the Light of the world' would be a good idea.