Thursday 1 May 2008

Food in Church

I just wanted to say that I was really pleased to hear Betty speak out at the recent church meeting. Despite discussion on what I really wanted to hear about being artificially constrained, I was glad to hear that some people were willing to speak up for themselves. I actually disagree with Betty's point on food in church, but totally and wholeheartedly support the sentiment behind it.

I agree that spending the church's (your and my) money on lavish entertainment is hardly what Mission is all about. However, Mission is about outreach. Whatever it takes to bring the unchurched into the building, to hear the word of God. If it takes Fellowship food to do that then I am all for it, even if those in the congregation could well afford to pay for it. We do not know this of everyone and should therefore not make assumptions. For instance, Alfa courses seem to be so much more productive when they include a meal. I have been to both kinds, so can speak from experience.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hi Mike

Good to here your views and lovely for me to have someone else contributing. I know the list of contributors has gone from the right hand side but those people can still post as Mike has and of course anyone at all can comment like this. Let's have more please. Thanks again Mike... oh and I too agree that food plays a vital role, if fact I think our God is the best party-goer and party-thrower of all time!!

Anonymous said...

I have not read this site before, so I would like to say, that there appears to be a divide about BBC spending money on food
Can I say, that in scripture the disciples ate together a lot of the time. Jesus also had a treasurer (Judas) And there was enough in that fund for Judas to scim some of the money . Jesus did not need the money, it was for His followers to buy food and clothes.
Jesus wore a seamless robe (Only the rich had such clothes)
It is not what we own that matters.When our home group serves coffee we provide the biscuits and cakes
And we are happy to provide food at other times as well. If someones conscience is troubled and thinks the church is paying for everything then be assured that Sue and I are glad to chip in
Roger Hill